Shree Ramkrishna Netralaya - Eye Hospital in Navi Mumbai
What is Glaucoma?
Glaucoma is a serious condition that involves an elevation in pressure inside the eye caused by a build-up of excess fluid. Always visit a glaucoma specialist rather than a general ophthal.
Glaucoma if left untreated, it can destroy the optic nerve, which is the main nerve of the eye. In most cases, it is a painless disease…and there are no symptoms other than loss of vision, which can occur so gradually that many people do not realize it is happening. Glaucoma cannot be cured, but it can be treated. It if is spotted in its early stages, blindness can almost always be prevented. Visit most experienced glaucoma specialist in Thane & Navi Mumbai at Shree Ramkrishna Netralaya.
WHATARE DIFFEREN I TYPES OF GLAUCOMA?
•Glaucorna is a group of eye diseases which result in darnage to the optic nerve and vision loss.
• The rnost cornmon type is open-angle glaucoma with less common types including closed-angle glaucorna and norrnal-tension glaucorna.
•Open-angle glaucoma develops slowly over tirne and there is no pain. Side vision may begin to decrease followed by central vision resulting in blindness if not treated.
•Closed-angle glaucoma can present gradually or suddenly.
FACTS ABOUT GLAUCOMA
- Glaucoma is chronic, progressive, and often asymptomatic.
- According to the World Health Organization, glaucoma Is the second-leading cause of blindness In the United States and the world.
- The most common form of glaucoma Is open-angle glaucoma which accounts for an estimated 95% of all glaucoma cases.
Glaucoma is 6 to 8 times more common in African Americans than in Caucasians.
- Globally, glaucoma affects 605 million indi-viduals.
- Due to the growing aging population, it is estimated that glaucoma may affect 80 mil-lion individuals by 2020.
- If undetected and untreated, glaucoma can cause Irreversible damage to the optic nerve and blindness.
Symptoms & Treatment for glaucoma
- In most cases, there are no early symptoms, causing no pain.
- Unless the pressure is very high, elevated eye pressure cannot be felt.
- Acute angle-closure glaucoma symptoms may include blurred vision, nausea, headaches, and halos around bright light
- First, peripheral vision begins. Once vision loss occurs, it cannot be restored because the optic nerves have been destroyed
Treatments for glaucoma.
- Glaucoma cannot be cured, but can be maintained through:
- Medication (usually in the form of eye drops)
- Laser Therapy
- Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty (SLT)
- 9o% of glaucoma patients are candidates
- Argon Laser Trabeculoplasty (ALT)
- Filtration Surgery
- Alternative to trabeculectomy
Diagnosis plays important role in treating Glaucoma. Visit Best Glaucoma specialist in Navi Mumbai at Shree Ramkrishna Netralaya.